Tuesday 22 February 2011




  




































































I have included in this blog, work and samples that represent my most recent projects, including some examples of my lifework. I chose the life drawings as they where some of my most spontaneous and I enjoy this approach to drawing. I try to keep an open mind when researching ideas or experimenting with materials and images .The most important aspect in my approach to a concept is that I allow myself to react to my discoveries instinctively alongside finding an emotional connection with the work I produce. I try to use materials that relate directly to the subject. For example in the illustrations of Ben, I used his actual clothing.
The idea behind the body project was nurture, motherhood and the circle of life. I made a cast form a pregnant woman using mod rock before covering it with a piece of Knit. The design to the knitted section was representational of the various stages childhood .The stitches symbolising time and the unity of family. I took inspiration for the flowers from my grandparent’s garden and used floriography to symbolise the hopes, values and character we wish for our children in relation to my own memories and perceptions of nurture.
I have always been primarily interested in a textile based approach, though I appreciate any opportunity to take more of a conceptual journey. I believe the dynamics, structure and breadth of the course suits my working methods and capabilities. I endeavour to push the boundaries between textiles and contemporary fine art and therefore feel I would thrive in an atmosphere that encourages individuality. Having looked at previous degree shows and reading the prospectus, I am entirely confident that I would excel at MMU.

No comments:

Post a Comment